The overarching goal in Karreeta Yirramboi, the Victorian Public Sector Aboriginal Employment Action Plan, is to increase Aboriginal participation in the Victorian public sector workforce to a one per cent target by 2015.
To support this, the State Services Authority has developed the Karreeta Yirramboi: An Employer Toolkit to grow Aboriginal Employment in your Organisation.
The toolkit provides practical material to assist organisations increase the numbers of Aboriginal employees in their organisation. It covers the following topics:
- cultural awareness and competency
- attraction and recruitment
- retention – induction, mentoring and career support
- career development, managing performance and leadership opportunities
- creating an Aboriginal Employment Officer position
- developing an Aboriginal Employment Plan
- community engagement.
A set of key messages and top tips support each chapter in the toolkit. Case studies, drawn from the experiences of public sector organisations and staff are also included to give the toolkit practical application.
The toolkit provides templates for an ‘Aboriginal Employment Officer’ position and an ‘Aboriginal Employment Plan’.
An overview (pamphlet) of the toolkit is also available.