Featuring over 300 free articles focused on NFP governance and leadership in Australia.
Victoria has introduced compulsory minimum standards for organisations that provide services for children to help protect children from abuse. The child safe standards will apply to organisations from 1 January 2016. Education, awareness raising and helping organisations to create and maintain child safe environments will be the initial focus of the child safe standards. The Victorian government has released a toolkit for organisations, which includes guidance on human resources, good leadership and what to do if a child discloses abuse. They can be downloaded below:
- Child safe standards presentation (ppt 1.4 MB)
- Resource 1 - Good leadership and governance in child safe organisations (doc 55.5 KB)
- Resource 2 - Child safe policy and statement of commitment (doc 70.5 KB)
- Resource 3 - Code of conduct (including sample code of conduct) (doc 59.0 KB)
- Resource 4 - Human resources practices for child safe organisations (doc 61.5 KB)
- Resource 5 - Recruitment practices for child safe organisations (doc 83.0 KB)
- Resource 6 - What to do when an allegation of child abuse is made (doc 65.5 KB)
- Resource 7 - Sample incident report template (doc 68.0 KB)
This self-governance checklist has been produced by the Australian Tax Office to help organisations check how well they understand and manage their tax and super obligations. Download now ATO Self governance checklist for NFP
This checklist will help you organisation handover its tax affairs to a new administrator. Download now ATO Handover checklist for not for profit administrators
This guide provides information on the tax requirements for Indigenous Corporations. Download here ATO ACCO
The Good Governance Principles and Guidance for Not-for-Profit Organisations (Principles and Guidance) have been created by the Australian Institute of Company Directors as part of our commitment to the not-for-profit (NFP) sector and its directors. The Principles and Guidance: • Are designed to promote and facilitate the crucial conversations and associated activities NFP organisations undertake regularly to achieve good governance. • Are not an attempt to formulate rules on what might constitute good governance practice for NFP organisations, or prescribe related behaviours and specific actions. Access the full document here.
Good governance is central to ensuring that boards and committees of Not For Profit community groups are effective at leading the organisation they serve while also meeting their legal and compliance responsibilities. This checklist, via the Victorian State Govt Not for Profit Compliance Centre, is a quick reference guide to ten principles of good governance to help your board or committee understand and discuss its performance.
VCOSS Link has partnered with Pathways Australia In order to offer our members accessible, high quality resources, advice and professional development opportunities. Pathways Australia has a reputation of providing excellent training, resources and advice specifically for community service organisations. Areas of expertise for Pathways Australia include:
- Financial planning and management including income generation
- Human resource management
- Strategic and annual planning, and
- Risk management
- 25% off full price of any Pathways Australia seminar or workshop
- Free telephone advisory service
- Income generation
- All aspects of human resource management
- Strategic and annual planning
- Financial management
- Risk management
- 40% discount for the following membership packages
- Fundraising/Income Generation, including review and written feedback of grant applications
- General Management
- Human Resource Management/Industrial Relations
- 40% off online resources
The Institute of Company Directors Australia )ICDA)is the best practice network for the members of not-for-profit boards, committees and councils, as well as staff that support them. You can access their tools and resources here. The ICDA also have a policy bank which is free for non-commercial use, insurance and risk management, and information on auditors and legal help.
Governance for good A guide for people who are, or are thinking of becoming, board members of a charity registered with the ACNC. This guide focuses on good governance and the responsibilities of board members.