Consultation hosted by Smart Justice for Young People, Youth Affairs Council Victoria, Victorian Council of Social Service, and Federation of Community Legal Centres Victoria.
2 February 2017
10 – 12 noon
Venue TBC (Melbourne CBD)
The Victorian Legislative Council’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is inquiring into issues at Parkville and Malmsbury Youth Justice Centres.
The inquiry will consider issues including:
• Safety of staff and young people
• The increase of young people on remand
• Incarceration of young people who have experienced trauma, AOD misuse and/or the child protection system, or who have mental health issues or cognitive disabilities
• Cultures, policies and practices of youth justice centres, and reporting of incidents
• Options for keeping young people out of youth justice centres
• The role of DHHS in overseeing practices at the centres.
YACVic, VCOSS, SJ4YP and Federation of Community Legal Centres invite our members to take part in a consultation to inform our submissions to this inquiry.
As peak bodies, we represent extensive memberships in the youth sector, the wider community services sector, and the community legal sector. We undertake systemic advocacy to government and the community focused on the wellbeing, participation and human rights of young people.